Saturday, July 7, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Casserole

One of my best memories from childhood is having a big weekend breakfast. Either Saturday or Sunday my parents would make breakfast while awesome tunes were blasting from the stereo (anything from Fleetwood Mac, to Ricky Martin, to Polka).  When I was really little my Grandma would make pancakes for me in whatever shape or letter that I wanted, something I cannot do to save my life. That or I just don't have the patience for it.

I really want this tradition to continue in my family, so this morning I made this cinnamon roll casserole that I found on The Dishy Decorator. I made a few changes to it, and I think when I make it again I'll probably cut it in half.




Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons of melted butter or baking spray (I just sprayed the pan because the casserole is decadent enough, I didn't think it needed the butter)
  • 2 cans (12.4 oz each) refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (next time I am going to sub this for evaporated skim milk, it's the same consistency but with less fat and calories)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla (I have a heavy hand with vanilla, so it was probably more)
  • 1 cup chopped Pecans (I just grabbed 2 handfuls of pecans and chopped them, didn't measure)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup 


Garnish: 

  • Icing from cinnamon rolls 


Directions: 

  • Heat oven to 375°F. 
  • Pour melted butter into ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Or, spray it with baking spray.
  • Separate both cans of dough into 16 rolls; set icing aside. 
  • Cut each roll into 8 pieces; place pieces over butter in dish. 
  • In a medium bowl, beat eggs. 
  • Beat in cream, cinnamon and vanilla until well blended; gently pour over roll pieces. 
  • Sprinkle with pecans; drizzle with 1/4 cup syrup. 
  • Bake 20 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Mine was golden in 25 minutes.
  • Cool 15 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, remove covers from icing; microwave 10 to 15 seconds or until thin enough to drizzle. 
  • Drizzle icing over top. 
This was crazy delicious and a definite crowd pleaser. Since it's just the four of us, I will probably cut the recipe in half next time I make it. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails